Friday, September 09, 2011

recap of the week: catching up

Monday I made Seafood Pomodoro with Linguine from Robin Miller's Quick Fix Meals.


So while Mark Bittman is being unrealistic when he says a meal will take 45 minutes, and while Rachael Ray is being delusional when she says a meal will take 30 minutes, Robin Miller says her meals take 20 minutes, with predictable results.  Try more like an hour (even with leftover chopped onion from the freezer).

Once again, I'm used to cooking out of The Food Matters Cookbook, so it didn't occur to me until too late that it would have been really nice to have some vegetables.  I need to get in the habit of serving salad whenever I serve pasta.  I met Morgan at Panera's where he had spent the day doing math, so I did pick up a French baguette to go with the meal (because, surely, what it needed was more carbs).

Tuesday we had our concert, after which we went to Chazz for a celebratory dinner, after having read about it in the Baltimore Sun.  It was a very pretty restaurant: next time, we should sit at the pizza bar.  That is, if there is a next time.  The food was only ok, but pretty pricey.  I can get a much better margherita pizza at Pub Dog for less.  (Since when does a margherita pizza have tomato sauce on it, anyway?)  Should have checked Yelp first.

Wednesday I made Lemony Zucchini Risotto with Fried Eggs, from The Food Matters Cookbook.


Maybe risotto, like pie, is something I should only order at restaurants.  It was nice, but was it really worth the effort?

Last night we had dinner at the happy hour at the Rusty Scupper, which is always nice.

No comments: