Wednesday, November 23, 2016
- Aeronautics. the airstream pushed back by a revolving aircraft propeller. Compare backwash (def 2), wash (def 31).
- the airstream generating reduced air pressure and forward suction directly behind a rapidly moving vehicle.
- any of numerous aquatic insects constituting the order Trichoptera, having two pairs of membranous, often hairy wings and superficially resembling moths.
Tuesday, November 22, 2016
- furnished with crenelations, as a parapet or molding, in the manner of a battlement.
- the channel of a watercourse that is dry except during periods of rainfall.
- such a stream or watercourse itself.
- a valley.
- a framework spanning a railroad track or tracks for displaying signals.
- any of various spanning frameworks, as a bridgelike portion of certain cranes.
- Rocketry. a frame consisting of scaffolds on various levels used to erect vertically launched rockets and spacecraft.
- a framelike stand for supporting a barrel or cask.
- a small rivulet or brook.
- East Indian Cookery. a cooked dish consisting of rice, lentils, and spices.
- a cooked dish of rice, fish, hard-boiled eggs, butter, cream, and seasonings.
Monday, November 21, 2016
- bedmaker (def 1).
- a device consisting essentially of one or more hooks or clamps, for grasping or holding something; grapple; grappling iron.
- a small anchor with three or more flukes, used for grappling or dragging or for anchoring a small boat, as a skiff.
Friday, November 18, 2016
- a dense growth of shrubs or small trees.
- one's luck or lot.
- an occurrence, happening, or accident.
c.1200, "chance, luck," from O.N. happ "chance, good luck," from P.Gmc. *khapan (source of O.E. gehæp "convenient, fit"). Meaning "good fortune" is from early 13c.
"Of course the moose did not choose his yes any more than Respighi chose his. It is his hap to be born—to come out of the mama onto the Earth—his hap to be rejected by the mama novel a littler moose comes out, his hap to bear a staggering affirmation on his brow."
- Amy Leach, "The Modern Moose", The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2016
Wednesday, November 16, 2016
- antiaircraft fire, especially as experienced by the crews of combat airplanes at which the fire is directed.
- criticism; hostile reaction; abuse
- a procession of persons riding on horses, in horsedrawn carriages, in cars, etc.
- any procession.
- any noteworthy series, as of events or activities.
Tuesday, November 15, 2016
- a person offered to the service of and living in a monastery, but not under monastic vows or full monastic rule.
- a lay member of any of various Roman Catholic societies devoted to special religious work.
- the biogeographic region that includes the bottom of a lake, sea, or ocean, and the littoral and supralittoral zones of the shore.
Monday, November 14, 2016
- Also called canine distemper. an infectious disease chiefly of young dogs, caused by an unidentified virus and characterized by lethargy, fever, catarrh, photophobia, and vomiting.