Monday, July 18, 2011

weekend update

Friday evening I went to the BSO to redeem my ticket vouchers (a thank-you gift for attending the Forte reception after attending "Charlie Chaplin's The Gold Rush", we think (which in itself is quite interesting, because anyone under forty would have been born no earlier than 1971, and therefore would not remember the Beatles at all (but maybe that's not necessary, since we don't remember Beethoven or Charlie Chaplin either, but can still appreciate them))), and, in the time between then and the concert, wandered around Artscape for a little bit. 

Across the street from the BSO was a sculpture garden called "Rabbit Hole", which featured a sculpture garden which was only partially Alice-in-Wonderland themed, but did include a mad tea party

An inverted top hat (such as what the Mad Hatter might wear), with teacups and goldfish.
and a solar-powered music installation.

Greener art.
I saw an Art Car happening

Art happening.

and got a cheddar and mac n cheese sandwich from Grr Che.

I met up with Morgan, and we went to the "Classical Mystery Tour - A Tribute to the Beatles", a concert for which I clearly did not study enough.  Maybe I was just tired, but it seemed to me that one string bass was way too close to its microphone, and that the Paul McCartney impersonator should have stepped aside for an understudy if he had lost his voice.  This was one of those rare cases where the other (almost entirely older) BSO patrons seemed to appreciate the concert more than I did.

Saturday I went to lab, after which we went to Samos for lupper.  We went to Ikea in White Marsh and picked more laundry bins, a new pillow, some hangers, and a new welcome mat, and then saw Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2.  *SPOILER ALERT* I was a little surprised that they changed the most cinematic moment of the book: I guess they wanted the audience to think *gasp* if they changed that part, what else have they changed?!?!?!.

Sunday went to lab, and Morgan continued to provide positive reinforcement by taking me to Sticky Rice for dinner.

3 comments:

Ellen said...

Wait... which part did they change?

My Potter recall is not that great so I didn't notice. I guess that's what they were counting on.

Elizabeth said...

*SPOILER ALERT* In the book, Neville pulls the sword out of the sorting hat and beheads the snake, in one fluid motion. I certainly didn't see it coming (because I am also sorely wanting in Potter recall, and totally forgot that the sorting hat is where Harry got the sword in the second book), so at the time it definitely seemed to me that Rowling was thinking, "You know, this doesn't really make a lot of sense, but wouldn't it look cool for the movie?!"

Ellen said...

I didn't remember either the provenance of the sword or that scene. It does make very little sense -- who keeps their sword in a hat?