Thursday, July 14, 2011

weekend update

Saturday we visited Afters (which is yet another one of those businesses that have a facebook page, but no web site.  I find this bizarre, which is probably just a sign that I'm getting old) and the new Fresh & Green's (which is quite similar to the old Superfresh, except they don't take the loyalty card).  I went to lab while Morgan went to the Magic tournament with Tom, and then we had a late supper at 30 East at the Stalking Horse (where I got to use my Living Social coupon.  (Now, a Groupon is just a Groupon, not a Groupon coupon, so is a Living Social just a Living Social?))

Sunday I woke up early, so I went to the farmers market and got jam, sugar plums, apricots, raspberries, blueberries, nectarines (white and yellow), corn on the cob, watermelon, green beans, potatoes, eggplant, tomatoes (red and yellow), and pork jowl.  (I made three trips between the car and the market.)

Parking had become free since the last time I went, and it was noticeable.  I got there before eight, but the parking lot was pretty full.  (The market itself was no more full than usual at that time of morning.)  I left before nine, and the parking lot was insane.  It used to be that if I couldn't get to the market before nine, I didn't bother going, but now I'm going to have to revise that to even earlier (since, as you see above, it's going to be pretty tough if I can't get parking near the market).

I made Seared Bean Sprouts with Beef and Sesame Orange Sauce from The Food Matters Cookbook and served it over quinoa for lunch.



In the afternoon we took a walk around the harbor and finally partook of the dragon paddleboats.  Having a boating license, I got to steer.  The boats are not terribly hydrodynamic and a little difficult to maneuver, but we managed not to hit anything or anyone.  Morgan was a little surprised how much work it was to paddle (we'll have to have paddle boot camp up north), but we had fun.



Sunday evening I went back to lab, and, since I had the car, I also stopped at Whole Foods on the way home and picked up cherries, quinoa, sesame seeds, and almond milk.  At home, I finally made some progress on Atlas Shrugged.  (Trying real hard to withhold judgment until I've finished it, but it's tough.)

I've been mostly living off my farmers market produce since then.  I love summer.  (And who needs protein anyway?)

No comments: