Thursday, July 07, 2011

farmers market

Cleaned up at the farmers market today: bread, eggplant, cherry tomatoes, green beans, peaches, strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries.  (I do find it suspicious that the strawberries are still available, but even so I am not one to turn my nose up at fresh strawberries.)  The vendor at the produce stand (yes, our farmers market has exactly one produce stand, which is exactly in keeping with our institution's attitude toward healthy competition) seemed a little perplexed that I was buying so much.  I told him that the only grocery store within walking distance of my house just closed.

Turns out I was only half right.

The real reason is that fresh produce (especially fruit) is only available just a few weeks of the year, so yes, I'm willing to drop $33 on decent food once a week, even if it means the bicycle I'm saving up for is that much further away.  And besides, the raspberries and blueberries were perfect.

No comments: