Thursday, January 26, 2017

Today I'm thankful for: that time I was IPP

Today (and every day) I'm thankful for that time I was immediate past president of the Hopkins Toastmasters Club.

I have learned so much from Toastmasters, and possibly the most important thing I learned was when I was IPP.  

When I was president, the previous year, I poured my little heart and soul into the club.  I had no idea what I was doing, so I made lots of mistakes, learned from them, and through my experience, formed strong opinions about what worked and what didn't work.

The next year, the club had a new president, who didn't necessarily do things the way I would have done them.  And once again, painfully, through making mistakes, I eventually learned perhaps my most important Toastmasters lesson yet: that just because someone does something differently than how I would have done it doesn't necessarily mean it's wrong.  

Knowing the difference between an actual mistake (which, depending on the situation, may require my calling attention to it) and just a different choice than I would have made is a crucial skill, in all areas of life.  It's a skill I'm still trying to develop every day, but, because of my time as IPP, I'm much better at it now than I was, and I am thankful.

No comments: