Tuesday, March 05, 2013

word of the day: gormless

The word of the day is gormless:

Etymology:  < gaum, dial. < gome n.2 notice, understanding + -less suffix.
orig. dial.
Wanting sense, or discernment. (OED)


"Of the Old and New People of Willesden I speak; I have been chosen to speak for them, though they did not choose me and must wonder what gives me the right. I could say, “Because I was born at the crossroads of Willesden, Kilburn, and Queen’s Park!” But the reply would be swift and damning: “Oh, don’t be foolish, many people were born right there; it doesn’t mean anything at all. We are not one people and no one can speak for us. It’s all a lot of nonsense. We see you standing on the balcony, overlooking the Embassy of Cambodia, in your dressing gown, staring into the chestnut trees, looking gormless. The real reason you speak in this way is because you can’t think of anything better to do.”"

 - Zadie Smith, "The Embassy of Cambodia", 11 & 18 February 2013 The New Yorker

No comments: