Monday, August 22, 2011

Pasta alla gricia with Seared Red Cabbage Wedges

Last Monday I used the frozen pork jowl that I got at the farmers market to make Pasta alla gricia from How to Cook Everything.  I had made it once before, using some guanciale I got from the Milwaukee indoor farmers market, and thought it was the best thing ever, and have been on the watch for pork jowl ever since.  Usually the farmers market doesn't have any.  (But the last time I was at the grocery store, I found some.  Go figure.)

I still had about three-quarters of the five-pound head of red cabbage left leftover from the Tangy Red Cabbage and Beets with Beef, so I served it with a side of Seared Red Cabbage Wedges, from Recipes for Health.  I really liked the seared part, but the wedges were just a bit too thick, so the insides of the wedges were steamed, not fried.  (So I'll cut them thinner next time.)


No comments: