Friday, June 24, 2011

leek tomato shrimp couscous concoction

I didn't make it to the farmers market yesterday until ~12:30, so I missed the raspberries.  I did get some blueberries and tomatoes from the one (1) produce stand.

I was inspired by the Kojo Nnamdi Show the previous day, when the guest talked about how healthy, sustainable, affordable, and convenient sardines are.  He specifically mentioned about how great it is that anyone can walk into a 7-Eleven and pick up a tin that, with a few slices of tomato and some mayonnaise, makes a healthy meal in ten minutes, but on my walk back from the library and the hardware store, not one (1) of the three (3) convenience stores I stopped in had sardines.  (They did all have Libby's Vienna Sausage: go figure.)

So instead I relied on the shrimp I had in the freezer for my protein.


Leek Tomato Shrimp Couscous Concoction

4 tbsp butter
2 leeks (leftover from Tuesday), trimmed and sliced
4 large tomatoes, chopped
~1/2 cup white wine (leftover from Tuesday)
12 shrimp, thawed (about five minutes in a sandwich bag in a large bowl of warm water does the trick)
1 cup couscous

Melt the butter over medium heat.  Add the leeks; cook until soft.  Add the tomatoes and the wine, heat through.  Add the shrimp and cook until pink and opaque.  Add the couscous: stir, cover, turn off the heat for five minutes.

I'm particularly proud of this recipe because it was comprised almost entirely of leftovers and what I had in my cupboards (the only exception being tomatoes, which the rest of the dish was built around), and I concocted it without a recipe.  It was also pretty fast, and delicious.  (The amount of time that it sits is just about the right amount of time to wash up the rest of the dishes, so cleanup after dinner is fast, too.)

No comments: