Sunday, January 23, 2011

Last night I made Curried Tomato Soup with Hard-Boiled Eggs from Mark Bittman's The Food Matters Cookbook.

Curried Tomato Soup with Hard-Boiled Eggs

1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper [the recipe calls for 1 tablespoon minced fresh hot chile, but I have had a strict no-chile policy ever since I got some juice under my fingernail a few years ago and was in agony for days later.  Perhaps I should just invest in some latex gloves.]
2 tablepoons curry powder [turns out I just had one left; I made up the rest with an ad hoc mixture of coriander, turmeric, cumin, and nutmeg]
1 tsp cumin
pinch of sugar
2 potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 carrots, chopped
3 cups stock [I used chicken stock]
1 cup coconut milk [I used one can]
3 cups chopped tomatoes [I used one can of whole peeled tomatoes]
1 cauliflower, roughly chopped
4 hard-boiled eggs, roughly chopped
1/4 parsley, chopped [it called for cilantro, but parsley is what I had]

Put the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.  When hot, add onion, garlic, ginger, and pepper.  Cook until soft, 3 to 5 minutes.  Stir in the curry powder, cumin, and sugar.  Cook and stir another minute or two more.

Add the potatoes and carrots.  Cook for a minute or two, then add the stock, coconut milk, and tomatoes with their liquid.  Bring to a boil, then lower the heat so the mixture bubbles gently.  Cook until the potatoes and carrots are fairly soft, 15 and 20 minutes.

Add the cauliflower and adjust the heat so that the mixture bubbles gently.  Cook until all the vegetables are very tender, about 15 minutes more.  Serve garnished with the hard-boiled eggs and parsley.


Hard-Boiled Eggs (from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything)

Place eggs into a saucepan with a tight-fitting lid.  Cover with water.  Bring to a boil.  Turn off the heat, cover the pot, and allow eggs to sit in hot water  for nine minutes.  After nine minutes, remove eggs to a bowl of icewater.

No comments: