Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Monday night I made a variation on the stir-fried sweet potatoes that I've made a number of times since Mark Bittman wrote it up in The Minimalist in September (you must remember, Mark Bittman has high standards, so "a better-than-average little meal" for him is probably a much-better-than-average meal for me).

But I had the leftover sage that I had gotten from Whole Foods for the White Beans, Tuscan Style, so instead of grapeseed oil, garlic, and ginger (I usually leave the scallions out anyway, because I rarely have them on hand, and I'm not a huge fan), I melted two tablespoons of butter and then added the sage, and sauteed (fried?) until the sage leaves started to wilt, and then added the shredded sweet potatoes (six little ones plus one big one: I like enough for both supper and leftovers for lunch the next day) and proceeded as usual.

As it turns out, Mark Bittman had previously published a stir-fried sweet potatoes with brown butter and sage recipe, which I didn't follow (no garlic), but it was nice to get some validation on the flavor combinations.


Last night I got home late-ish (after rehearsal, I had to briefly return to lab to take something out of the autoclave (I suppose I could have left it overnight and saved myself fifteen minutes, but that seemed inconsiderate)), and it turned out there was a condo association meeting.  The power was going on and off (which did make for a harrowing experience crossing Conway on the way home: the streetlights were out), and as I was going upstairs to drop off my stuff before coming back down for the condo meeting, I thought about making a quick dinner of scrambled eggs and toast to take down with me, but then the power went out again and I was stoveless.  I thus went down to the meeting without any supper (Morgan was working on his candidacy talk for today, so we needed a representative), but after an hour and half, when he was done with his talk, Morgan came down and brought me a scrambled egg sandwich, on toast.  It was perfect.

No comments: