- a badge consisting of stripes meeting at an angle, worn on the sleeve by noncommissioned officers, police officers, etc., as an indication of rank, service, or the like.
- an ornament in this form, as on a molding.
- Also called chevron weave.herringbone (def 2a).
- Heraldry. an ordinary in the form of an inverted V .
1390s, from O.Fr. chevron "rafter," since it looks like rafters of a shallow roof, from V.L. *caprione, from L. caper "goat," the likely connection between goats and rafters being the animal's angular hind legs.
"Geese among the bulrushes hear his song and taste the chill in the new air. Sluggishly at first, waking from the nesting dream, they recall the exquisite urgency of the chevron, and begin to trumpet their intentions."
- Bill Willingham, Fables: Farewell