- of, pertaining to, or having equality of measure.
- of or pertaining to isometric exercise.
- Crystallography. noting or pertaining to that system of crystallization that is characterized by three equal axes at right angles to one another. Comparecrystal system.
- Prosody. of equal measure; made up of regular feet.
- Drafting. designating a method of projection (isometric projection) in which a three-dimensional object is represented by a drawing (i·somet·ric draw·ing) having the horizontal edges of the object drawn usually at a 30° angle and all verticals projected perpendicularly from a horizontal base, all lines being drawn to scale. Compare orthographic projection.
1840, coined from Gk. isos "equal" + metron "measure" (see meter (2)). Originally a method of using perspective in drawing; the physiological sense relating to muscular action is from 1891, borrowed from Ger. isometrisch (1882). Isomer is an 1866 back-formation; isometrics coined 1962 in Amer.Eng.
"The volcanoes are linked by geologic faults, which push against each other isometrically, triggering earthquakes, floods, and landslides."
- Charles Mann, 1493: Uncovering the New World Columbus Created