- protection or security against damage or loss.
- compensation for damage or loss sustained.
- something paid by way of such compensation.
- protection, as by insurance, from liabilities or penalties incurred by one's actions.
- legal exemption from penalties attaching to unconstitutional or illegal actions, granted to public officers and other persons.
"'Look, Señor Madero,' he said, 'if I take advantage if the fact that I'm armed and take away your watch and keep it, and after a while we meet, both of us armed the same, would you have a right to demand that I give it back?' Certainly, Madero told him; he would even ask for an indemnity."
- John Womack, Zapata and the Mexican Revolution